Therapy with the gentle touch.
Annya Stoddart BA (Hons), BSc (Hons), Lic Ac, MBAcC, BWYDip.
I have always had a passion for exercise and a healthy lifestyle, and I really enjoy teaching about these subjects too. Having trained and worked as a part time fitness instructor and yoga teacher for many years, I eventually decided that I needed to work in the health field on a full time basis.
My full time management job was making me tired and stressed and it was causing regular shoulder and neck pain. Having had a few acupuncture treatments I found it not only relieved the aches and soreness and but revitalised me as well.
After talking to many of my friends and colleagues about acupuncture, I was pleasantly surprised to hear how many had had treatment and had found that it had worked. So I had a complete career change and studied acupuncture to degree level, working part time and studying part time until I qualified in 2008.
Two of the things I love about acupuncture are:
- Seeing and hearing the change in patients voice and ability to move with greater ease sometimes after just one session, sometimes after a few.
- Talking through diet and lifestyle choices with patients to see if there is anything else that can be done to resolve, reduce or prevent further pain problems.
The yoga still comes in useful for helping me advise patients on adapting exercises given to them by their physio, osteopath or chiropractor. Or if they haven’t had any exercises to do, I can train in what exercises and how to do them safely and effectively.
Key to the” alphabet” after my name!.
- BA (Hons). Independantly negotiated learning route. This was an MSc done at degree level and involved researching what made particular businesses successful in terms of training and customer service.
- BSc (Hons) Acupuncture. The London College of Acupuncture and Traditional Medicine is where I studied. It is affiliated to Portsmouth University.
- Lic Ac means I am a licensed acupuncturist and trained to treat patients safely in the UK.
- MBAcC. Member of the British Acupuncture Council, governing body for acupuncture.
- BWYDip. British Wheel of Yoga Diploma for teaching. A 3 year course validated by the Wheel, the governing body for yoga in the UK.